A Culinary Delight to Match Our Signature Game + Lamb Recipe
Each hearty bowl full of Field + Forest™’s signature, grain-free Game + Lamb kibble is a delicate balance of succulent, wild game and Karoo Lamb with wholesome fruits and vegetables including whole chickpeas which offers an alternative to traditional grains that will keep your dog fuller for longer while providing sustained energy.
If you’d like to dine on some delicious lamb yourself, you can try this winter-warmer recipe inspired by our own signature, grain-free Game + Lamb recipe. So, gather your friends and family around, dish up a bowl of Field + Forest™’s Game + Lamb variant for your four-legged friend, and enjoy your meal altogether.
Lamb and Chickpea Soup Topped with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 120 mins
Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
Serves: 6 to 8
Ingredients for the spicy soup:
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10ml ground ginger
- 15ml ground cumin
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 10ml ground coriander
- 6 saffron threads
- 800g deboned shoulder or leg of lamb, cubed
- 3 chopped celery sticks
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2L water
- 1 x 410g can of drained chickpeas
- 100g (125ml) lentils
- 15ml lemon juice
- Salt and freshly grounded black pepper
- 125ml chopped fresh coriander leaves
Ingredients for the spicy chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 30ml olive oil
- 10ml cumin
- 10ml paprika
- 5ml cinnamon powder
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based pot; cook onion until soft.
- Add spices, cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add lamb and celery and cook for 3 minutes whilst stirring to coat the lamb with the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, water and chickpeas, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 90 minutes until the lamb is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add the lentils and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and spicy chickpeas.
- Prepare the chickpeas whilst the soup is cooking and keep in an air tide container until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190⁰C.
- Drain the chickpeas and dry with a paper towel. Spread out in one layer onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Place the chickpeas in a small container with a lid and drizzle with the olive oil. Move around to make sure all the peas are covered with oil.
- Add the spices and shake in the container to cover all the peas with the spices.
- Transfer back to the baking tin and bake for 20 minutes.
Want to know more about Field + Forest™’s grain-free, signature recipe variants like Salmon + Tuna or Turkey + Duck, visit www.fieldandforest.co.za!