Traditional Succulent Karoo Lamb Inspired Recipe
Succulent Karoo lamb, tender, wild-game meat complemented by whole chickpeas, sliced apple and ground peppermint. These are some of the delicious, nutritious ingredients included in our signature, grain free Game + Lamb recipe which we’re sure your dog finds just as satisfying as it sounds. Share these delectable flavours with the whole family with this irresistible Karoo lamb with potato and onion cake recipe.
Karoo Lamb with Potato and Onion Cake
Cook time: 60 – 100 Mins
Prep time: 20-30 Mins
- 400g floury potatoes, sliced
- 100g melted butter
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Garlic, minced or finely chopped – to taste
- 200g white onions, sliced
- A rack of lamb (with about six to eight bones each), French trimmed and scored fat
- Start by heating the oven to 180° Layer the sliced potatoes and onions in a buttered tray.
- Place a layer of potato at the bottom and then a layer of onions. Continue layering until you have used up all the potato and onions.
- Between each layer, drizzle a bit of melted butter and add some thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. You can mix the thyme, garlic and butter together for an easier drizzle.
- Cover the tray with foil and place in the oven to cook for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, season the lamb with salt and pepper, making sure to get the salt and pepper into the scores on the fat. You can add a little bit of finely chopped rosemary.
- Sear your lamb in a pan on the stove, on high heat. Get the fat on the lamb golden and crisp. Once seared on all sides, set aside.
- After the potatoes have cooked for 30 minutes, remove the foil and place the lamb on top with the fat up. Cook for a further 20-40 minutes more or less – depending on how you like your lamb cooked, and how big the rack is.
- Once the lamb is cooked to your liking, remove it and cover it in foil to rest.
- Serve with mustard and a helping of the potato and onion cake. Add some texture to your plate with green beans or asparagus.
If you’d like more information on Field + Forest’s™ delectable, grain free, Protein Centric™ recipes visit http://www.fieldandforest.co.za/.